after Fra Angelico, artist unknown
Angel Musician painted on a gilt and gesso panel in an architectural frame
Florence, Italy, c.1860
56.0 x 22.0 cms
The angel is taken from the border of Fra Angelico’s Linaiuoli Tabernacle (1432-3), now in the museum of S Marco in Florence, and housed in an elaborate architectural frame of vaguely International Gothic style.
Richly decorative paintings of angel musicians, such as this example, were produced in Florence during the 19th century grand souvenir pieces. The artist is unidentified. While the words are occasionally signed on the back of the panel, the original paper backing of our example has prevented inspection.